Monday, January 28, 2013

Proverbs Chapter 27



For those of you who started reading Proverbs on the 27th, here's the verse that seemed to hit home for me when I read chapter 27:

He who is full loathes honey,
    but to the hungry even what is bitter tastes sweet.

It seems to me the first part of that verse describes those of us who live in the U.S.  We have so much stuff, (we are so 'full') that we don't even appreciate the "sweet" things God gives us on a daily basis. On the other hand, those people who have so little appreciate the "bitter" things we wouldn't even consider eating.

The season of Lent is just around the corner (Ash Wednesday is February 13). It may be a great time for some kind of 'fasting' that will help us to have a greater appreciation for the abundance God has blessed us with - and maybe to share from that abundance with those who have little.

Please leave a comment about the passage from chapter 27 that stuck out for you.

God bless your reading,
Pastor David


1 comment:

  1. What stood out for me was verse 1--"Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring."
    The fact is I often talk about things I'm going to do and plasn I have as if I will live forever.

    This verse reminds me that I should live in the moment and rejoice in the day the Lord has made.

    ReplyDelete