Wednesday, March 3, 2021

New Music from Mike Donehey

Singer/songwriter, author and podcaster Mike Donehey is a founding member of the hit CCM band, Tenth Avenue North, which called it quits in 2020. Their farewell tour was cut short due to the global pandemic leaving him at home during a lockdown wondering what was next. Being part of a band for two decades, he is now learning what it means to create and release music on his own. Donehey made his musical solo debut yesterday with the release of his EP, Work of Art, which is a thank you to his fans.

“Being in a band is amazing,” shares Donehey. “There’s a sharpening and a refinement that happens when you bring songs for a group to work on it. But there’s an intense freedom I’m feeling working on songs on my own. Ironically, I feel like it’s releasing me to be much more eclectic than I was before. I have a very broad appreciation for genre and lyric, and now, on my own, I’m able to explore much more unchartered sonic territory than I have before.”

During 2020 while at home, he began writing as a therapeutic process to deal with the abrupt end of his band as well as being home during lockdown. It was during this time that he realized that his musical career was not ending but pivoting.

“I think I’ve written more songs this year than I ever have in that span of time of being home,” he explains. “The Work of Art EP is all about the different things it takes to make and keep beautiful relationships. The songs are about listening, becoming less defensive, radical ownership and radical acceptance. My full-length album is due in the fall, and it is about my spiritual journey and the things I’ve been wrestling with lately.

Here are the four songs from this EP...

"What You Mean To Say"

"Work Of Art"

"You Belong Here"

"Better"

No comments:

Post a Comment