Monday, October 5, 2020

Attitude of Gratitude VI

Standard disclaimer: The views and opinions in this article are the rambling thoughts of the author and not necessarily representative of Living Word Lutheran Church.

Today, I am thankful that the political election season is soon coming to an end. Okay, that thought may be slightly sarcastic, but it is easy to get tired of the nonstop political news, derogatory television ads, and influx of junk mail from everyone who is running for some sort of office.


At this point, I see two options: Ignore it all until it goes away or try to convince everyone about the importance to voting regardless of whether we agree on political positions or not. Politics may not be a solution, but it is an influence in the world around us. If we ignore all the news, debates, issues, and candidates, then we are probably not going to make wise and informed choices with our votes that help further the causes of justice and righteousness

In spite of this, there are four things that I need to remind myself whenever I get entangled in any type of political discussion...

  1. I can't fix everything myself.  As much as I would like to make everything alright, sometimes I need to remind myself to follow the advise from Elsa in Frozen and "Let it go".

  2. Try to be like Jesus. Don't focus on the negativity, fear, and division of politics. Instead focus on trying to do what Jesus would want us to do (WWJD).

  3. Remember what I should really be trying to accomplish: My goal should be to get others to follow Jesus, not follow my political preferences.
    For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Ephesians 6:12 
  4. Finally when discussing political viewpoints remember to "love our neighbors". 
    But to you who are willing to listen, I say, love your enemies! Do good to those who hate you.  Bless those who curse you. Pray for those who hurt you. Luke 6:27-28
    Whether we agree or disagree, I need to remember to treat others with dignity and respect. If I try to convince others of the validity of my opinions by cleverness or refusal to listen to their views, I have failed on point #2 above. I have failed to be a light and I will just make myself upset, overwhelmed, and/or angry.

So, who am I voting for in the election? Mark Twain said that we should never discuss religion or politics in polite company. I certainly don't mind discussing my religion, but I tend to agree on politics... This is not the forum for us to respectfully discuss our political views. The one thing of which I am certain is that if I print my opinion, it will have no bearing on your opinion. I am equally certain that if you send me your opinion, it will not change mine so we should just avoid the inevitable conflict inherent in social media. Besides, Mark Twain also said, "Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." 😄



No comments:

Post a Comment