Monday, October 19, 2020

Attitude of Gratitude VIII

 This week, I am grateful for music. I spend a lot of time listening to music, Even during my workday I usually have the radio or YouTube playing in the background. I especially like Contemporary Christian Music since that is my primary listening choice. If you have followed this blog at all, this should come as no surprise to you.

Music can bring me joy, can keep me focused, or can keep me calm. I enjoy listening to current favorites, or listening to favorites from many years ago (see the Flashback Friday posts). I especially enjoy finding new music and new artists that I have not yet discovered.

 Music is an inherent part of every society.  Since music is such an important part of life, it should not be surprising that the Bible says much about it; in fact, the longest book in the Bible is its song book—Psalms.

The church is commanded to communicate with each other “with psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit. Sing and make music from your heart to the Lord” (Ephesians 5:19). Both the Old and New Testaments address music and strongly support its use in worship. The extensive anthology of actual songs found in the Old Testament indicates the importance and value God places on creative musical expression. Music’s use in worship in the church today is valuable and can honor God in a special way. Music is a communication tool, and a Spirit-filled Christian is a singing Christian. There are no New Testament instructions on the type of instruments to be used (or not used), and no particular “style” of music is recommended or forbidden. The simple command is to sing “to God with gratitude in your hearts” (Colossians 3:16).

As with many things in life, we do not all agree on the type of music that we listen to. That's okay as long as it does not lead to destructive or immoral actions, I feel that there is no right or wrong type of music. Music is a blessing from the Lord. It is such a beautiful powerful thing that we should not take for granted. Sometimes God uses it to speak to us. I strongly believe that all Christians need to be listing to godly music throughout the week. It helps me to stay calm, be encouraged, and it helps me to keep my mind on the Lord and when my mind is on the Lord I sin less.

With that in mind, if you are looking for a fun evening of great music, Sidewalk Prophets are performing another virtual livestream concert. The Midwest Region show date is November 20th at 7:00 p.m. Tickets are "pay what you can" so you can watch for free or make a donation, but tickets are required and can be gotten at https://sidewalkprophets.com/pages/virtual-tour-dates, I saw Sidewalk Prophets in a live streamed concert earlier this year and it was a great show. I encourage you all to get tickets for The Chosen Tour by Sidewalk Prophets.



No comments:

Post a Comment